Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Reusable Experiences

I have had experiences in my life that I have been ashamed of.  Since things didn’t go as planned, I felt like I should keep the experience to myself and hide it.  Now I understand that all experiences can work for your benefit.  I mentioned in my book, Life is a Motivational Speech, that “There are no mistakes in life only lessons.”  I have learned that the same things that you are ashamed of could empower you. In 2010, I had a business renting office space that was not financial successful.  When I closed the business, I partly felt like a failure.  But as I began to reflect on the business, I realized the business had stretched me!!  I had a lot of new experiences, learned new wisdom and met new people along the way.  The business didn’t do well financially but it was one of the most successful businesses I have had in terms of wisdom.  I learned so much!!  I learned that a good business is based on relationships.  Networking with other people and businesses will help your business.  I learned not to put so much money out at the beginning, but getting the business started first and gaining some revenue is most important.  I also learned that helping other organizations and businesses will help your business. 

I know you are wondering “if you learned all of this, why didn’t the business prosper?”  By the time I realized this new found wisdom, the company didn’t have any more money.  I spent most of the money on appearance and paying a high lease.  Toward the end of the business, I had changed directions in which the business was going but didn’t have the finances to support the new direction.  And it was a good direction!! I could have gone for broke and took out a loan, but at that point I felt like I had enough experience to apply the wisdom to another business venture. 
If you are in the process of closing your business, don’t think of it as a failure.  First, it took COURAGE to chase the dream in the first place and that courage is what keeps entrepreneurs going.  Second, you have gained wisdom that you would not have gained if you didn’t TRY.  My prayer each day is “God make me wiser when I go to sleep tonight than I was when I woke up this morning.”  Reuse your experiences and gain new wisdom.  More valuable than money is wisdom because wisdom can give you the power to get money and more.  Keep pursuing your dreams and learn wisdom from all your experiences.       

No comments:

Post a Comment